Qualifications and Skills
I graduated in Music from the Faculty of Performing Arts (DAMS) at the University of Bologna, as well as completing the four-year music therapy course in Assisi. I then attended a post-graduate specialisation course in music therapy (held in Bologna and organised by the University of Bristol); following this, I began working in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy as a qualified music therapist. I have just completed an MA in Music Therapy at the University of the West of England (Bristol).
In addition, I also have a diploma in Choral Studies from the Teatro Comunale in Bologna.
I have participated in a number of seminars on music education, choral training and direction (studying the Kodály Method in Esztergom), vocal technique (Estill Voice Training System and the Functional Voice Training Method), and psychology (Neurolinguistic Programming, Integrated Humanities, and Psychoenergetics).
Since 1990, I have planned and led music education and music therapy projects in schools and in many different public and private institutions, working with children, teenagers, and adults.
As the founder and current president of the Diapason Progetti Musicali association in Budrio (province of Bologna), I am responsible for organising and overseeing all of our activities, as well as being involved in vocal and choral education work.
Since 2002, I have worked as a music therapist with children and young people with disabilities at the Centro Ambulatoriale di Medicina Fisica e Riabilitazione di Neuropsichiatria dell’Infanzia e dell’Adolescenza “Antoniano Insieme” in Bologna (Centre and Clinic for Physical Medicine and Neuropsychiatric Rehabilitation in Childhood and Adolescence), and at the Centro Protesi INAIL (INAIL Prosthetics Centre) in Vigorso di Budrio, mostly with adults who have lost limbs and are being fitted with prostheses.
I also provide training in music education for school teachers, and teach on specialised music education and music therapy programmes.
I am a lecturer at the Conservatoire “A. Casella” in L’Aquila, where I teach a course on “The History and Fundamentals of Music Therapy, Theoretical Models and Methodologies I and II”.
I have also collaborated with the University of Bologna’s Department of Psychology on music therapy research projects.
I am currently the vice-president of the Italian Association of Professional Music Therapists (Associazione Italiana Professionisti della Musicoterapia, or A.I.M.), and I am registered as a music therapist, tutor and supervisor.
I have spoken at numerous national and international music therapy congresses, including the WFMT World Congress in Brisbane (Australia) in 2005, and at the EMTC European Congresses in Eindhoven (Holland) in 2007 and in Cadiz (Spain) in 2010.
I have also had experience as a performer, singing in choirs, choruses, and as a soloist. I am currently involved with directing the “Diapason” choir in Budrio (in the province of Bologna) and promoting the “Ocarina Ensemble Project” (the ocarina being the traditional instrument of Budrio).
- “From silence to sound, from black and white to technicolor” (“Dal Muto al sonoro, dal Bianco e nero al Technicolor”): music therapy workshops in collaboration with Barbara Zanchi on work with elderly patients (ASL [health service] BO-NORD, department of geriatric medicine), Cento di Ferrara, 9 October 1998. Abstract published in the Congress reports.
- “Music Therapy: reality and perspectives” (“Musicoterapia, realtà e prospettive”): a presentation on experiences of music therapy in the primary school setting, Crevalcore (province of Bologna), 15 November 2003, organised by the AUSL [health service] Bo-Nord and local institutions (Conference proceedings).
- “A Masters in the Arts Therapies” (“Un Master nelle arti Terapie”): music therapy workshop led together with Leslie Bunt at the Department of Psychology at the University of Bologna, April 2000.
- “A qualitative analysis of music therapist-patient relationships using a historical report approach”: presentation on research carried out as part of a study group in collaboration with the Department of Psychology at the University of Bologna, given at the 11th World Congress of Music Therapy, Brisbane (Australia), 19-23 July 2005.
- “Communication and Dialogue in Music Therapy Involving a Patient Suffering from Epileptic Encephalopathy and Serious Visual Impairment”: Marinella Maggiori and Cristina Rozzi, given at the 7th European Congress of Music Therapy “Dialogues in Music Therapy” organised by EMTC (European Music Therapy Confederation), Eindhoven (Holland), 15-19 August 2007.
- “The voice as personal identity. Vocal experiences in music therapy” (“La voce come identità personale. Esperienze vocali in musicoterapia”): presentation by Marinella Maggiori and Elena Romanelli, given at professional development conference “First steps with the voice- Fundamentals, techniques and problems regarding the use of the voice in early childhood in the fields of learning and education” (“Primi passi della voce – Fondamenti, tecniche e problematiche dell’uso della voce nell’infanzia in campo educativo e didattico”), Antoniano, Bologna, 23-24 February 2008.
- “From individual improvisation to collective. A practice of music therapy relationship”: Marinella Maggiori and Elena Romanelli, given at the 8th European congress of Music Therapy “Evidence for Music Therapy, Research, Practice & Education”, organised by EMTC (European Music Therapy Confederation), Cadiz (Spain), 5-9 May 2010.
- “Clinical practice in music therapy in the initial phase and at the end of life”(“La pratica Clinica in Musicoterapia nella fase iniziale e finale della vita”): presentation given at the National Congress of Music Therapy “Music Therapy: the identity of a profession. Training, Practice and Research” (“La Musicoterapia: identità di una Professione. Formazione, Clinica e Ricerca”), organised by Accademia di Santa Cecilia-AIM, Parco della Musica (Rome), Spazio Risonanze, Friday 1 April 2011.
- “Presence in the local area: operational relationships with other institutions” (“La presenza nel territorio: proposte operative nei rapporti con le Istituzioni”): presentation given by Elide Scarlata and Marinella Maggiori at the AIM National Congress of Music Therapy “The Music Therapy Profession: Identity, perspectives and reflections” (“Musicoterapia e Professione: Identità, prospettive e riflessioni”), Chiostri di Santa Corona Vicenza, Saturday 12 May 2012.
- “Structure and musical forms in clinical practice with individuals and groups” (“Strutture e forme musicali nella pratica clinica individuale e di gruppo”): presentation given by Elide Scarlata and Marinella Maggiori at the National Congress of Music Therapy “Music Therapy in Italy and in Europe: Clinical Experiences and Reflections” (”La Musicoterapia in Italia e in Europa: Esperienze cliniche e riflessioni”), organised by Conservatorio “A. Casella” (L’Aquila) and A.I.M., L’Aquila, 26-27 October 2012.
Between 2001 and 2006 I collaborated with the Department of Psychology at the University of Bologna on two music therapy research projects, under the supervision of Professor Pio Enrico Ricci Bitti.
- Observation in music therapy using A. Fogel’s Co-regulated Coding System: analysis of music therapy sessions following the CCS model.The first part of the work was presented at the APIM-AIM Congress in Bellaria in 2003.The first phase of the project ended in June 2006.
- Research project for the Scuola Intercomunale di Musica in Mirandola: observation of musical activities for young people with disabilities, offered by the music school.The findings were published by the local authorities in Mirandola. The project was concluded in 2005.
- Tutor for students undertaking work experience placements at the “Antoniano Insieme” rehabilitation centre (Bologna), as part of the post-graduate specialisation course in music therapy with the University of Bristol and MusicSpace Italy (Bologna), in 1996-1999 and 2001-2004.
- Lecturer in Music Therapy at the further education colleges “Istituti Aggregati Aldini Valeriani e E. Sirani” on the course for “Operatori di Animazione dell’Infanzia” (early years activities co-ordinators) from 1999-2001.
- Tutor at the “Antoniano Insieme” rehabilitation centre (Bologna) for work experience students from the Faculty of Education Studies at the Unversity of Bologna (2002-2012) and the music therapy training course in Assisi (2012-2014).
- Tutor for students from the music therapy training course in Assisi who are on work experience placements with the Associazione Diapason Progetti Musicali in Budrio (province of Bologna).
- Lecturer in Music Therapy and Personal Tutor on a training course (no. 217) for music therapists in Reggio Emilia (2002-2003), organised by E.N.A.I.P. [a national training network] and recognised by the regional authorities in Emilia Romagna.
- Lecturer providing general information on music therapy at a professional development centre (Futura s.p.a. in San Giovanni in Persiceto, in the province of Bologna), as part of a training course for activity co-ordinators working with the elderly (2001).
- Teacher of a module on music therapy at the Faculty of Education Studies at the University of Bologna.
- Lecturer on a specialisation course leading to a diploma in support for SEN students in infant and primary schools (2006).
- Teacher of “Introduction to Music Therapy” courses at the “Morandi” high school in Finale Emilia and at the MA 2000 music school in Bologna (2012).
- Lecturer at the “Scuola di Musicoterapia Dinamica” (Florence) on a training course for music therapists, held at the Centro Studi Musica e Arte (2014).
- Lecturer at the Conservatoire “A. Casella” in L’Aquila (2014), teaching “The History and Fundamentals of Music Therapy, Theoretical Models and Methodologies I”.
- Lecturer at the Lemmens Institut LUCA Camps of art (Leuven-Belgium) , teaching in the Music Therapy Course.
- Supervisor accredited by the Association of Italian professional Music Therapists (A.I.M)
Since 1995, I have been responsible for co-ordinating music therapy projects offered by the Associazione Diapason Progetti Musicali in Budrio (province of Bologna). These projects have been carried out in infant, primary, and secondary schools around the province, as well as at the Centro Protesi INAIL (INAIL Prosthetics Centre) in Vigorso di Budrio.
In 1997-98 I took part in the “Sintonie” project organised by MusicSpace Italy (Bologna) at the Department of Paediatric Oncology at the S. Orsola Hospital in Bologna, in collaboration with AGEOP (an association which offers support and assistance for children affected by leukaemia and tumours).
I staged and directed “The Carnival of the Animals” by C. Saint-Saens and Prokofiev’s “Peter and the Wolf” in a joint project with the Regia Accademia Filarmonica Bologna and the Orchestra Mozart’s Progetto Tamino, financed by the Ministry for Equal Opportunities (2011-2012).
I have worked as a music therapist since 2002, offering both individual and group sessions. I have worked as part of a multidisciplinary team with other professional figures (such as psychomotor specialists, speech therapists, psychologists, and specialists in childhood neuropsychiatry) and in collaboration with local health services at the Centro Ambulatoriale di Medicina Fisica e Riabilitazione di Neuropsichiatria dell’Infanzia e dell’Adolescenza “Antoniano Insieme” in Bologna (Centre and Clinic for Physical Medicine and Neuropsychiatric Rehabilitation in Childhood and Adolescence).
OTHER MUSICAL ACTIVITIES
Through my association Diapason Progetti Musicali (Budrio), I have been active in a wide variety of musical activities since 1993, including lecturing on music education in early childhood, directing choirs, teaching singing, and offering training and professional development for teachers and instructors.
In addition, I also taught Music as a classroom subject at the middle school “Q. Filopanti” in Budrio (2001).